STATUS OF NPV BILL:
1. The bill made it out of the House Rules Committee and will go to the
House floor for a vote this week. It will probably pass on the House
2. It will then go to the Senate. The new bill number in the Senate is
SB2927. The first KEY PERSON in the Senate concerning this bill is the
Senate Majority leader and Chair of the Senate Rules Committee Ginny
Burdick. Senator Burdick and this committee must vote to move the bill
to the Senate floor, where it will need 16 of 30 votes to pass.
3. Best estimates are that there are “just enough” votes in the Senate
to pass, and thus become law, SO WE ARE NOT YET THERE FOR SURE, BUT WE
ARE VERY CLOSE.
WHAT YOU CAN DO OVER THE COMING WEEK:
1. You guessed it: Make phone calls (preferably) and/or send e-mails
a. Senator Alan DeBoer 541.944.1600 (This is DeBoer’s cell phone. His
office staff insists this is the number you should call him at and
either leave your message or, if DeBoer answers, relate your message to
him personally.) DeBoer is considered a possible yes vote.
b. Senator Ginny Burdick 503.986.1700 or 503.986.1718
One point to emphasize in your own words is that this is NOT a partisan
issue. Republicans as well as Democrats support this bill.
2. After you make a call or send an e-mail, ASK ONE OTHER PERSON TO DO
THE SAME. PLEASE SEND ME THEIR CONTACT INFO.
3. Write or co-write an op-ed piece for the Ashland and/or Medford
4. If any of you know folks in the community who might have some
PARTICULAR INFLUENCE WITH DEBOER, ask them to call or e-mail him about