The initial stages of grassroot movements can be a bit chaotic. To streamline and coordinate our efforts we can all join forces under the local INDIVISIBLE group.
Join the INDIVISIBLE MOVEMENT–a nationwide Trump-resistance group
- Readthe 23 page https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
- Join the local chapter of INDIVISIBLE-a nationwide Trump-resistance group.
FaceBook: Oregon District 2 -Indivisible.
- Attend Meetings:
Attend next upcoming meeting: Local Groups
- Take Simple Action NOW on the ACA and other important issues
As I work through my own reticence to taking action to speak up for our rights,
I’m sharing with you what I’ve found out about making it easier and more effective to speak up.
In a nutshell, the most effective way to apply pressure where it will do most good: Calling our members of congress in a timely manner on one specific topic each time is what is most effective. In a ‘timely manner’ means at the moment something is happening, like the attempt to repeal the ACA right now.
- Calling our members of congress in a timely manner on one specific topic each time is what is most effective. In a ‘timely manner’ means at the moment something is happening, like the attempt to repeal the ACA right now.
- Don’t overwhelm yourself by being obsessive. Do your part for one issue then put it down and go about your business for the rest of the day.
- One day at a time
Make it Easy to Call Your Members of Congress–and Make the CALL!
Last week I added Oregon Senator Wyden and Senator Merkley’s phone #s to my phone book for easy access in the future and then I called them both.
Due to the volume of calls to Sen Wyden’s office I was on hold for 7 minutes, but I got right through to Merkley.
Here’s the information (from MoveOn.org) where to call and what to say (keep it simple and short)–
Modify the statement as you’re comfortable.
If just three Republican Senators vote against repeal then we can stop this tragedy before it happens, save the ACA to build on in the future, and stop the extreme Trump agenda in it’s tracks. But we’ll also need every Democratic Senator on board and fighting to block repeal every day.
Can you take 5 minutes today to call Sens. Wyden and Merkley to thank them for standing up for the Affordable Care Act?
Here’s where to call:
- Sen. Wyden – (202) 224-5244
- Sen. Merkley – (202) 224-3753
- U.S. Representative Greg Walden (R)- (202) 225-6730
Here’s what you can say to your democratic senators:
“I’m calling to say thanks for standing up for the Affordable Care Act. 475,000 people in Oregon could lose their coverage. Please do everything you can to block the Republicans from repealing the ACA.”
I said, this is Susan Meyerott from Ashland Oregon calling to thank Senator ___ for standing up for the ACA. I’m hoping you do everything you can to block the Republicans from repealing the ACA. We are very proud of the work you’re doing to stand up.
Do You Have a Personal Story to Tell? Send it to me
Personal Stories, not facts convince others to act.
Our call to action in our healthcare group: Write up a personal story about your experience with the healthcare system and send it back to me this week. Don’t worry about spelling or grammer–just tell the story. We will 1st send stories to Miranda and Carol for the local publication, but we will also look for ways to get personal stories in the newspapers and to the senators. Once you have a story to tell you can include that when you call your senators. Keep it short.
Strategy for resisting Trump Agenda
Moveon.org call with Chuck Schumer and Elizabeth Warren 1-9-17
Keep the pressure on….keep calling.
Phone calls—don’t underestimate the power. Tell your personal stories how affects you. Collect stories of people who affected. Collect stories of people who voted for trump who don’t want ACA repealed.
Generate lots of calls…
- Get friends to call too…on same day.
- Especially to republicans. Your call to blue state reps and red state reps matter.
- Empowers dems to proceed with backbone.
- I’m flooded with phone calls…are you?
Stories, not facts convince
- The real person challenge…tell ‘one person’ compelling story.
- Write 200 word letter to the editor story. Find stories from our state….they will try to elevate that story. Real voices of real people in our own state.
- Be a story collector.
- Be a story teller.
- Be an instigator.
- Progressive Activists say ‘we want more stories’ how Medicaid, medicare or ACA changed your life, the life of your child or friend.
- Me: Denied coverage or take cobra (me…with pre-existing condition). Members of Congress want compelling stories from constituents.
Constituents put pressure on own MoC—it’s all about votes
The hardest thing for a politician to do is to look a constituent in the eye and tell him/her he is supporting a bill that will hurt them….
Heart-felt personal stories.
Push the pressure points.
Call DC office and local MoC office
A lot of groundwork is being laid—together—it’s helpful to know we have awesome grassroots movement behind us. Moveon.org
Thank you for keeping your actions simple and focused!
Susan J Meyerott, M.S.
Training & Program Development Specialist
Ashland, Oregon 97520